Saturday, May 16, 2009

Settling In

Hello!
I have had a busy last couple days. I moved in with my host family-- Mama Celeste and her husband (I don't know his name yet..) and their three youngest daughters, Amelia, Andrea & Estrella. They're all between the ages of 13 & 26... like me :) Their abuelita(grandma) lives with them also, and at times their toddling nephew is here as well during the day. He's a little apprehensive of me- I'll have to do something about that.

I have been going to Kairos (the school) every day. its about three blocks from my house and my protective mother (its true! everyone will tell you) lets me walk there by myself. The town is pretty small-- they call it a pueblito (pueblo means village, -ito means small). At the school, I have been shadowing David, the English teacher, who is a godsend. He speaks a bit of English and can clarify 'job' details when I need it. He's also a joker so I've had a great time getting to know the kids in a humorous way. I have been elected the 'invitada Americana' (guest American) to sing and introduce their Talent Show on June 1. It's kind of funny because I really don't think of myself as much of a singer, but they didn't ask. I was simply delegated the guest invite. Well, I guess you have to take risks to get to know people, right?? I'm taking song suggestions...

I will be working every morning at Kairos with the elementary-age kids. They have school from 7:30 until 12:00pm. At 1:15 the 7th-9th graders come, and I will be coming on Mondays to teach them. I would liken it to 'organized chaos'-- the classes aren't as calm as you might find in the States. But so far, they have demonstrated a good knowledge of all their subjects, which counts for something!

Other afternoons will (probably) be spent at Rincon Joven (The Youth Corner). Another intern, Anna, will be working there full time starting at the end of the month. That way we'll have a chance to work together, too. On Wednesday I will be meeting with Joel and Liz (my mentors from CTM/EdT, in English 'Strategy of Transformation') and with all the other interns. By midsummer there will be ten of us in all! I'm also really excited because we get to attend 3-4 EdT training sessions, which are full-day seminars on various aspects of ministry. These trainings are available to the local missionaries as well, so I get a taste of what EdT is doing with local ministries and get to meet them all.

There is a group from Kuyper in Guate right now for a missinos course, and I will be seeing them Sunday at church. A couple familiar & English-speaking faces will be nice! I'm also accompanying them on a Volcano hike Weds instead of intern training. There are only two interns that have started at this point, and it is a lot of work to transport us to the city.

In regards to 'culture shock', I am doing alright. :) I have made a lot of observations about cultural differences, mostly rooted in different values, but nothing 'shocking'. There are things I like better the 'Guatemalan way', and there are also things I prefer from back home. Truly 'hot' showers might be one of them. :) But I admire the way family is valued here, and the involvement everyone has in church ministries. I also like being able to walk places.

-Please pray that I will continue to improve in the language (nobody seems to be able to talk SLOW..) and that I will not offend anyone culturally.
-Also pray for my work at the school-- it's a great place thats concerned with childrens' lives, not just their education. They have real relationships and spend time with the kids outside of school as well. Some teachers even lead cell groups for the youth.
-Third, pray for safety & health-- there are five confirmed cases of the swine flu in Guate (but none near my pueblo), and i have seen traffic guards working with masks on. I also learned that one of the American missionaries here was robbed (laptop, money, watch, etc..) while stuck in traffic- an motorcylist came up beside him and demanded the goods. But God is good and has brought me nothing but blessings so far. (Except some internal discomfort.. beans are served with every meal...)
-Lastly, God is teaching me a lot about dependence on him. I revel in being independent (thus coming here alone) but God is teaching me that I ought to be okay with dependence.. on my hosts here and most importantly on Him. This is a tough lesson, much like pulling nails, and frustrating for my autonomous spirit. Pray that I learn this lesson gracefully, as well as the other that he has in store for me.

paz y amor,
kim <><

PS-sorry this is so long... the first days have been full of change and learning!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kim. Carol K says to chew your food really well and have a peppermint after each meal...hope it works - we may have to send the peppermints eh - they probably aren't selling King peppermints at the corner store. Love you. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its okay... i dont really like King peppermints anyway, but i'll try and get my hands on something like it here!
    =)
    thanks for the tip! jajajaja..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you and all that you're learning already! Just BE Christ to them -- you don't have to know the language perfectly to show them love, compassion, interest, and joy! Live it up, and make a difference just by BEING there!
    Kathy Sindorf

    ReplyDelete