Que onda! (literally 'what waves' I think, a typical greeting among the guatemaltecos')
Just a quick shout out... Happy birthday to Evan, who has now reached FOUR years old, aking him my favorite four-year-old on the planet!
Guess what?!
On Monday, I taught all by myself. I know this doesn't seem like too large an accomplishment, but when the language is foreign and you're all alone in a classroom (and weren't even intending on teaching) then it really feels like one!
The fourth grade teacher's daughter got sick and so I taught for a couple hours until she came. We worked on a few fun English songs, the 'there is/there are' distinction, and descriptions(beacuse in spanish adjectives generally go after, not before). Then in the afternoon, during my first visit to Rincon Joven (The Youth Corner), I was put in charge of a middle school math class b/c the normal teacher was sick. These kids are getting extra math help, and were learning carrying/borrowing and long multiplication. "Learning by immersion..." I guess you could say that's pretty typical of my experiences thus far!
I experiencd my first Pinula motorcycle ride on Monday as well... not too far, or too fast (mom, don't freak out) and the guy is a good friend of the family, very trustworthy. Every other evening this week is filled up already, mostly with church cell groups (youth gatherings in the houses of church families. They're groups led by young adults for the younger adults... very cool, lots of laughing and discussions) or services. I like the way the church is not just a Sunday thing, but extends throughout the week as a lifestyle and even a social community (but they´re still involved in ministry, it´s not exclusive). Very true to what faith lived out ought to be!
I have a specific prayer request. My roomates, Amelia & Dora, are both 22 (6 months older than me!) Dora is a cousin of the family, and lives and works with them. Her family lives on a volcano (I'm not sure if it's the one I climbed or a different one, but kind of an unique place to live, anyway) and her father was kicked by a horse on his way up to their house. He is in very fragile condition and currently at the public hospital because the private hospitals are too expensive. The medicin he needs isn't availble and the gov't refuses to pay for it because it's too expensive. Their entire extended family is going to try and compile funds to pay for better health care, but it's really expensive. Dora is still here because she has to work, but wants to badly to go and be with her father instead. There are lots of tears and prayers every day in the house, and it's always on our minds. Please pray for the situation, and that God will provide for all their needs-- emotionally, spiritually, physically, and financially. Thank you.
I have been doing devotions from Paul Tripp's 'Whiter Than Snow' book. Yesterday I read about how Christ rescues us from our own sinful hearts (AMEN!) and included in that, from our own desire for self-righteousness. This really hit me, because I struggle with reverting back to self-justification. I use it to explain my actions to others, to reason with myself, etc... The battle between self-justifying and admitting the need for forgiveness is a tough one. What's cool is that someone here was talking about this battle of the Christian life recently in a cell group here in Guate. I was encouraged, because I knwo I'm not the only one with this struggle, but hey- I can only speak for myself. Praise God that he is loving, and when we do finally come around to admitting, he is gracious to forgive. This gives me great reason to rejoice!
I also had a chance to go to Angels and Demons, a movie just recently out. It really gives a neat perspective into the hearts of men and into the conflicts between the church and science up to this point in life. Of course it is not entirely accurate because it is fiction, but it is very much a thinker movie. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys dicussing movies afterwards and can stomach a little violence.
Closing note-- I plan to upload a couples pictures soon, hopefully!
paz y amor,
Kim <><
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Upholding your dear roommate and her family in prayer. Thinking right is a constant battle...as you are 'immersed' in the culture and work, make sure you are immersed in His word regularly so that you may renew your mind. Can you tell what I have been studying lately? :)
ReplyDelete