This is a slight deviation from the normal posting... more of a reflection than a summary, so read it at your leisure.
My devotions have been coming from ´Whiter than Snow´ by Paul Tripp, a devotional that reflects on Psalm 51 & the nature of sin. Tripp shares that ¨sin lives in a costume¨ and that makes it hard to recognize. In fact, he pointed out that the costume sometimes looks like Christian virtues. Some examples:
Sometimes impatience and anger masquerade as zeal.
At times, lust masquerades as love of beauty.
Gossip often wears the costume of concern, even prayerfulness.
Craving for power and control can mask themselves as Biblical leadership.
Fear of man (and the opinions of others) may dress up in the costume of a servant heart.
But there's more. Because sin masquerades, we don't often see it. In fact, we don't really see it except with God's help. He gave us consciences, the Bible, and Jesus, as well as others around us, all of which help us see sin for what it really is.
Now I am the first to admit that these deceptions can be found in my own heart. But the beautiful thing is that I can see my sin, acknowledge it, turn from that path, and be forgiven. This can happen every day, over and over (and yes, it does!). In fact, Psalm 51 is a somber prayer asking for this forgiveness. But it's also a thankful prayer from a man who has been able to see through deception.
There's one really big implication to this masquerade. I think we'd all agree that sin is harmful to ourselves and others. If sin is masquerading at times in the clothing of the Church(Christian virtues), then it's possible the church has hurt some people. Thus, as Christ's representative here on earth, it's of the utmost importance that we stay on our guard against the dangers of deception.
So this got me to thinking... What would it look like if I asked God to help me accurately self-assess? Am I ready for what I might see in the mirror? This trip has already, in two weeks, reflected to me some of my sinful desires masquerading as Christian virtues. And personally, I hate being deceived so I want to flee far from sin. I pray that God will also help me put on 'new clothing', that doesn't mask sin.
Romans 13:14:
"Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature."
Just some food for thought that I've been chewing on lately. That and a lot of frijoles (beans)! =)
paz y amor,
Kim <><
Monday, May 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment