Sunday, July 26, 2009

Last update de Guate...

Well, the Lord has certainly been teaching me a lot in very little time. I was stretched a lot this past weekend at camp, given a cabin full of girls at night and a co-ed team during the day. Ironically, all the teachers/counselors had 2-3 team leaders, but on my team I was the ONLY one. Way to throw it all at the gringa at once! But the Lord certainly shone through when I was weak, and taught me how to rely on him. I got to think on my feet a lot, speak lots of Spanish, and we got third place at the end of the weekend 'competition'.

I also had the chance to taste some very cultural worship. Crying is a central element of worship, and I found myself drawn to join the students as they wept tears of suffering, thankfulness, and repentance before the throne of God. I cannot describe how close the community has grown since the campamento this weekend.. and I truly believe a BIG part of it was the worship that we shared, and the vulnerability of the students. Many gave testmonies, and a number of the students have experienced some MAJOR u-turns in their heart, back toward the Lord. Praise God for using the camp as a time of change, healing, and unity!

The Art Camp was this past Thurs. & Fri. at Kairos also. Something that must be understood about Guatemala in order to understand how things went down is that flexibility is of the UTMOST. Thus the ability to think on me feet has become invaluable.
Well, this week half the pueblito is sick with the flu, mild food poisoning, or respiratory problems. That includes about half the teachers I was planning on for talleres(workshops). So at the last minute, I had to find a new drummer, the balloon artist never showed, and there were two workshops that received no interest whatsoever despite their formerly indicated popularity. But all said and done, God really used the 'hiccups' to teach me, and they actually led to a beautiful extended worship time with the middle schoolers, a lot of personal/ministry/leadership lessons, and a bit of last minute supply purchases and workshop modifications. But everyone kept a great attitude and really walked away with joy and lots of expressions of creativity and thankfulness!

I also said my goodbyes to my students. It was very difficult, and I felt a strong desire to say something to them and wasn't quite sure what... there is really SO MUCH to say! I also got the chance to talk with many parents today at the art 'celebration' for the community. I pray that the students continue to grow in their walks with the Lord, and hope to have inspired them to continue learning English as well! It certainly opens a LOT of doors here in Guate to be bilingual! There are quite a few kids at Kairos with the 'knack' for language, and others who work very very hard to do well and thus their accomplishments are well-deserved. Every student is precious to me and I will miss their smiles, hugs, and and constant calls of 'kiim, kiim, kiim!' in the streets. Everyone here knows my name.. I only wish I knew all of theirs! I've got about half of them down by now.

Also, just a little 'fun' note you might appreciate: I went on a ferris wheel at the fair near my house last night. It appears as though they have wired a crude car motor to the ferris wheel, and they use gas and brake pedals to control the wheel. It goes SUPER fast, too... I wouldn't exactly say its the safest thing i've ever done.. but it provided a great chance to connect with some friends over screaming and laughing.

Well, I had better get going because it's pretty late here (and even later where y'all are at!)
I will be home Monday night-- which is coming up FAST-- and hope to spend the coming week catching up with lots of friends and family. I already know I will be missing my 'family' here... but of course nothing can replace the place my friends and fam in the States have in my heart!
The transition will be weird... I often catch myself supplementing Spanish words when the English doesn't come to mind, or doesn't describe what I'm trying to say as well... and I certainly love the food down here. I won't miss the chuchos (dogs on the streets), the early-morning cohetes (firecrackers) for special occasions, or the steaming-hot 'trickle' in our shower. I will miss the community, the walking to school, the weather, the soccer games, the flowers sold on the streets, the constant need to drink agua pura, the beautiful countryside of Guate, and the excuse to hug and kiss everyone you love every time you see them.
God knows that Guate has stolen my heart... and only he knows if I will have the privilege of returning. But for now, I am focusing on the opportunities to take what I have learned and what I love and apply it to the mission field he's presently got planned for me.

The sermon (yesterday) Saturday night was about a parable Jesus told... about a man who discoevered a pearl in a field and sold everything in order to buy the field and have the pearl. Guate is much like a pearl... the culture here, the minstry I have been privilieged to take part in, and the relationships I have built.. they are a huge treasure. I will certainly cherish them in my heart!

Paz y amor to all... see you soon!
-kim

No comments:

Post a Comment