Yesterday I had the privilege of helping for a special event at a school here in Guate. The school is a fancy, expensive French school with a campus more beautiful than any I've ever seen. The event was a series of workshops with a ministry called Very Special Arts that works among handicapped persons to help them develop their talents. They have given classes in various types of dance, painting, and music. They seek out artists in the 'lowest places'... Many handicapped persons can be found on the streets begging for money, others are abandoned by their family and live in orphanages even on the streets.
The incredible thing is that this event was a series of workshops given by the artists. I was assistant to María Eugenia, a woman with a spinal condition that limits her coordination and movements of arms and legs. She taught a seminar on how to paint using your feet. She had all the students on the floor, shoes off, with paintbrushes wedged between their toes and trying to draw circles and squares.
I found myself reflecting on the incredible humility, positivity, and abilities of a woman who has never been able to leave her wheelchair without the assistance of another person. Yet despite her 'disabilities' I found myself wondering who was more disabled: her or I?? I revel in independence and pride myself in not needing the help of others. I am not able to appreciate a stroll through the grass accompanied by a sister in Christ as María appreciated it. I eat my food using my own hands, but rarely appreciate being fed each bite from the hand of the Lord. Could it be that I have disabilities I am unaware of? Is God truly shown strong in my weaknesses? María has taught me more than a new style of painting. She's reminded me of my dependence on the Lord's help and grace each moment of my life.
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment