It has been busy these last few weeks! I have to watch for chances to use the compu because it's in high demand with my sisters (chatting, homework, etc..)
I have come up with a few ideas for projects and sustainable ways to serve here. There is the possibility brewing of having an 'arts camp' for the middle schoolers, focusing on how to use art to glorify God and share the Gospel. This would include courses in dance, drawing & painting, floral design, and even graffitiing. But it's still just an idea that needs developing. And it's still without funding, which might mean it stays as just an idea. If it does end up happening, it would rock. Many of my students have a lot of talent, but it's not being used for God's purposes...
My church here is also planning a conference for September for the youth in the community. It's their first attempt to do so, and they've got a great team working on things. They're using a Star Wars Theme and choosing something relevant to the Christian life from each movie... like the idea of being in a 'pod race' where there are lots of things trying to make you trip and fall. And the 'New Hope' we have in Christ.. a better hope than any movie can portray, and that the Good does conquer Evil in the end. Or the fact that we too need to learn and 'disciple' under the Master (though not Yoda, haha). It makes for a really clear and relevant way to explain the Gospel... I'm excited to be taking part int he planning. They've let me join the team even though I am not going to be here in September for the conference. :-(
I went to a birthday party last weekend for a one-year-old.. it was probably the biggest birthday party i've been to for a one year old. They had two clowns come (I'm a bit terrified of clowns), but these guys only had face paint and were very friendly. They made an embarrassing scene right before they left to single me out for a hug and a picture (some little bird told them my phobia)... but I found out later that this guy is one of the most famous clowns in all of Guatemala! So I guess it wasn't so bad. They also had pinatas and the whole Guatemalan rigamarole. What a great time of celebration!
Everyone here is sick with a stomach bug or a cold. I was sick my first week or two, and now I feel bad because everyone else is sick and I feel great! But praise God for keeping me healthy so far this month. Pray that my family gets better... a lot of them are feeling under the weather. They've become really dear to me... God has really allowed me to feel like a part of this family while I'm here-- something I can't thank him enough for. My mama (mah-mA) has a beautiful heart, always looking for ways to serve her family. My sisters have all promised to come visit me for my wedding if they can, haha! It's a full house here, but that's what I'm used to. It's like a home away from home, and we have lots of laughs and memories already.
This week is vacation in the schools (mid-year break and b/c of the swine flu) so I have had a little extra free time. I'm working with a professional teacher from the States to coordinate a training for the teachers at Kairos this Friday, and I'm planning the art camp details (trustng the funds will come!). I also hope to visit the other four interns in the city and see what they're up to in their ministries, and maybe visit the women's prison with the chaplains... and spend extra time building relationships here.
There's also a 'campamento' coming up for the middle schoolers and they asked me to be a counselor. I'm very excited-- Anna (the other intern) and I will have about 10 gals in our charge for the three day camp, and from what I hear it's an intense time of relationship building and spiritual discussions. Pray that God gives me the words (language barriers can be frustrating...) when the need arises to counsel or share the gospel with these kids! They've really found a place in my heart... something I never thoguht would happen with middle schoolers. But these kids have really snuck in somehow! =D
Also, pray for my body (haha)... I played futbol with the girls from the church, and played hard. It was quite a comic sight... 10pm at night, a bunch of girls tripping over the ball and screaming... The actual guys futbol team from the church came to watch and were rolling on the ground laughing at us. I'll try and upload a video or something... it was just so funny! But ever since I have felt like an abuelita (little grandma) and been walking gingerly up and down stairs... until today-- I was invited to a kick boxing class with some church peeps and they convinced it would help... which it did, but now I ache more! Pray that my muscles heal before school is back in session. =D But I must say, it's bearable and I do feel healthier and more energetic because of the exercise! Praise God for giving us bodies that know how to heal!!
This weekend we're hoping to have a 'pijama' with some gals from the church... a sleepover. It's a chance to connect with the girls personally, and even welcome others that are 'on the fringes' into the community. We'll be having s'mores (the American element!) and playing some games... Pray that it is fun, and a chance to build relationships!
Also, for those of you from New Life Church reading this... I reached a milestone this week! I'm finished memorizing Philippians 1 & 2... every Weds. morning I devote myself to learning it, as well as spend some time playing hymns in the English church where the interns gather for debriefing. It's a precious time to look forward to each week, communing with the Lord.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yeah for you with Philippians. Most of us are keeping up too :)
ReplyDeleteWe miss you a lot but are praying the Lord will use you and bless you in your time over there.
Give your mama a hug from me :)